This past year was when the world decided to save the planet. In 2015, people around the globe joined together to demand climate action from their leaders. We spoke with one collective voice, and at the UN’s COP 21 climate talks in December, they listened. With a historic climate agreement adopted by nearly every country, we’re on track to provide a safer future for generations to come.
The story of 2015 was the story of momentum building for climate action at every level. Countries, cities, organizations, businesses, and individuals all made commitments to cutting carbon emissions and investing in clean, renewable energy. As we look to the years ahead and the important work we have left to do, we’re looking back on the momentous accomplishments we’ve made together.
1. We began the year determined that 2015 would be different. It was time the world finally committed to solving climate change.
2. As we prepared for the UN climate talks all year, we knew that this was our chance to make a difference. This was our moment to save the world, and success was our only option.
3. We saw government leaders and politicians around the world take a stand against Big Polluters and guide their countries toward a clean energy future.
4. The reasons for hope kept growing. We heard success stories from different nations thriving without dirty fossil fuels. We heard about communities powered solely by clean energy.
5. We put the pressure on government leaders to spend wisely. We shouldn’t have to choose between healthy families and a healthy climate.
In 2015 there were $5,300,000,000,000 in fossil fuel subsidies. That is more than global gov’t health spending. pic.twitter.com/4WvV6t8R02— Climate Reality (@ClimateReality) June 4, 2015
6. Many businesses and governments had a light bulb moment in 2015 and began to embrace a green economy. Renewables became the clear answer to solving the climate crisis.
7. Denial went out of style in 2015. That’s one bad trend that won’t be making a comeback.
8. A clean energy future became inevitable this year. We committed to working for a better future for generations to come.
9. Two million people joined us this year to demand climate action from world leaders. We used that momentum to get a global agreement to protect the pale blue dot. We stood together to protect our only home.
We’ve seen the power that comes from people speaking with one voice. Climate hope grew around the world this year, and that’s all thanks to you. But we’ve still got our work cut out for us.
By sharing our content, you’ve helped us keep the conversation moving. You’ve made sure people are talking about what matters, and have probably changed some minds along the way. Help us keep that momentum going. Contribute to Climate Reality today so that we can continue helping create a better, safer future in 2016 and beyond.
Here’s to more climate action, and even more climate hope.