Begin Typing to Search Submit Search

Search Results
    February 16, 2016 | 3:40 PM

    So Simple, a Kid Could Explain It: The Scientific Consensus

    Sometimes the jargon and complexities of climate science can make important concepts sound confusing. That’s where deniers like to foster doubt. How do we really know we’re the cause? Hasn’t the climate changed before?

    Here’s how we know: the scientific consensus. Ninety-seven percent or more of climate scientists agree that climate change is real and caused by human activity. The numbers are impossible to ignore. It’s a concept that’s so simple, a kid could explain it (in under 30 seconds, too).  So sharpen your pencils and listen up! Class is in session and these kids are here to break down the facts about the scientific consensus.

    There are countless arguments deniers offer in attempts to disprove climate change, and none of them hold up. Let’s not forget about when US Senator Jim Inhofe brought a snowball onto the floor of the Senate as supposed evidence against the existence of climate change. But snow is an effect of weather, and as any third grader who passed Earth science can easily tell you, weather is different from climate.

    If we’re going to debate 97 percent of experts on climate science, we might as well also debate whether the Earth is round or if the sky is blue.

    If 97 percent of doctors diagnosed you with a serious illness, would you listen to the remaining 3 percent who told you nothing was wrong? Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate change is caused by humans, yet deniers maintain that there is room for debate. There is no debate.



    There is also no doubt our global climate is warming. Fifteen of the 16 hottest years globally have occurred after 2000. To top it all off, a new Scientific Reports study found that there is only a 0.01-percent chance that the string of recent globally hottest years on record could have been caused by natural climate variations alone. Numbers don’t lie. The climate is changing, and we’re the cause.



    While 97 percent of climate scientists agree that we’re the problem, 100 percent of us have the power to fix it! Help spread truth. Don’t let denial go unchallenged. Sign up to receive regular updates from The Climate Reality Project to find out more about what's changing in our climate and ways to get involved.

    Before You Go

    At Climate Reality, we work hard to create high-quality educational content like blogs, e-books, videos, and more to empower people all over the world to fight for climate solutions and stand together to drive the change we need. We are a nonprofit organization that believes there is hope in unity, and that together, we can build a safe, sustainable future.

    But we can't do it without your help.

    If you enjoyed what you’ve just read and would like to see more, please consider making a generous gift to support our ongoing work to fight climate denial and support solutions.

    The Climate Reality Project