- Leading the Action 24 program to strengthen government and public participation in advancing decarbonized sustainable and inclusive development in South Africa, including training government officers and legislators.
- Building public support for carbon pricing in South Africa.
854 Climate Reality Leaders
- Elevating climate as a national priority issue for all Australians, developing and delivering regional presentations on climate change and solutions for diverse audiences.
- Partnering with Sustainable Victoria and Plan International to host an event on climate and gender.
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
585 Climate Reality Leaders
- Branch director Alfredo Sirkis spearheaded campaigns pushing Brazil to ratify and implement the Paris Agreement, helping keep the country on track to meet its emissions reduction commitments.
- Educating presidential and other government candidates on the climate crisis through workshops and other outreach.
- Launching a campaign engaging 800 students at 40 Rio de Janeiro high schools in climate action.
905 Climate Reality Leaders
- Launching a Community Climate Hub program mobilizing activists to build public support for renewable energy in 20 municipalities across the country.
- Thanks to Community Climate Hub activists, Montreal committed to becoming carbon neutral by 2042. Hub activists were also instrumental in Ottawa leading Canada’s efforts to develop the country’s National Climate League metrics for tracking greenhouse gas emissions.
905 Climate Reality Leaders
- Training influencers as Climate Speakers in Shenzen in October.
- Bringing Climate Reality CEO and President Ken Berlin to judge Shanghai Environment and Energy Exchange’s Green Carbon Award.
1,579 Climate Reality Leaders
- Engaging new Climate Reality Leaders from the June 2018 Berlin Training in 100% Committed clean energy campaigns, Campus Corps youth outreach, and more.
- Training activists to speak effectively about the climate crisis and build support for action in advance of the UN’s COP 24 climate conference in Katowice, Poland.
- Organizing a pre-COP 24 conference entitled, “The Paris Agreement vs. the IPCC 1.5 Report – Are We on Track?”, attended by government and NGO representatives across Europe.
New Delhi, India
575 Climate Reality Leaders
- Training 462 teachers and 75 school principals to serve as trusted messengers and educators on climate change and sustainable development in their communities.
- Meeting with industry leaders in six states as part of the Clean Energy Business Promotion Campaign to raise awareness of renewable energy.
- Planting 51,000 trees to offset carbon emissions.
287 Climate Reality Leaders
- Training students, government officials, and NGO leaders on the climate crisis.
- Holding a youth leadership camp focused on climate action for 60 young people, featuring a screening of An Inconvenient Sequel and a conversation with the country’s special envoy for climate change.
MEXICO AND LATIN AMERICA BRANCH
Mexico City, Mexico
1,259 Climate Reality Leaders
- Engaging young people in the fight for climate solutions through special youth workshops.
- Meeting with political figures and candidates (including now President Andrés Manuel López Obrador) to raise awareness of climate solutions.
- Engaging new Climate Reality Leaders from the 2018 Mexico City training in dynamic campaigns including 100% Committed, Voices for the Climate, and Let’s Talk about Climate.
- Using popular media to raise awareness.
- Educating the media on covering the crisis effectively, developing a climate manual for journalists.
- Bringing climate-focused films to film festivals.
Quezon City, Philippines
592 Climate Reality Leaders
- Spearheading a campaign leading to successful introduction of a tax on coal.
- Reversing government resolutions supporting a new coal-fired power plant on the island of Mindano.
- Successfully advocating for phasing out dangerous hydrofluorocarbons in the country’s Paris Agreement commitments.
- Working with the National Youth Commission to educate young people about the crisis.