Johannesburg, South Africa
672 Climate Reality Leaders
- Mobilized public support and influencer pressure to help successfully pass a carbon tax in South Africa.
- Led the Action 24 program to strengthen government and public participation in advancing decarbonized sustainable and inclusive development in South Africa, including training government officers and legislators.
- Played a leading role in the Zero campaign, with a coalition of NGOs, CSOs, and volunteers from across Africa calling on the African Development Bank to be 100 percent transparent and to switch to 100 percent renewable energy.
- Worked with provincial governments in Gauteng, Kwazulu-Natal, Limpopo, and Western Cape provinces to promote clean energy transition.
1,537 Climate Reality Leaders
- Held a successful Climate Reality Leadership Corps training for over 700 new Climate Reality Leaders.
- Launched a collaborative grant scheme to help Climate Reality Leaders working on projects focused on these themes.
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
591 Climate Reality Leaders
- Branch Director Alfredo Sirkis spearheaded coordination of subnational efforts to implement Brazil’s NDC at the state level, with representatives for 12 state governments committing to join.
- Ran an education campaign in Rio de Jainero schools to teach over 5,000 students and train over 300 teachers on climate science and solutions.
1,022 Climate Reality Leaders
- Continued a Community Climate Hub program mobilizing activists to build public support for renewable energy in 20 municipalities across the country.
- Strengthened the National Climate League program, where Hub members and citizens around the country collect data on climate indicators to encourage municipalities to make stronger commitments on climate.
875 Climate Reality Leaders
- Trained influencers as Climate Speakers in Shenzen in October.
- Brought Climate Reality CEO and President Ken Berlin to judge Shanghai Environment and Energy Exchange’s Green Carbon Award.
1,668 Climate Reality Leaders
- Focused on the need for many European countries to make the shift away from coal, the branch helped organize and support events in various regions, including panel discussions in Romania and Poland, and the Conference on Climate Communications in Slovakia, attended by 500 government officials, citizens, and stakeholders.
- Formed a partnership with the Sziget Festival, one of the largest cultural festivals on the continent. Through this partnership, Climate Reality Leaders gave 14 presentations and engaged hundreds of individuals on the European National Energy and Climate Plans. Leaders also gave a mainstage presentation on climate for up to 15,000 people.
New Delhi, India
578 Climate Reality Leaders
- Trained 714 teachers to serve as trusted messengers and educators on climate change and sustainable development in their communities, and hosted an International Education Conference for more than 500 participants from nearly 30 countries.
- Planted 100,000 trees to offset carbon emissions.
296 Climate Reality Leaders
- Trained students, government officials, and NGO leaders on the climate crisis.
- Held a youth leadership camp focused on climate action for 60 young people, featuring a screening of An Inconvenient Sequel and a conversation with the country’s special envoy for climate change.
MEXICO AND LATIN AMERICA BRANCH
Mexico City, Mexico
1,317 Climate Reality Leaders
- Used popular media to raise awareness and educated media voices on covering the crisis effectively by developing a climate manual and hosting a training for journalists.
- Organized and ran workshops for government officials, corporate employees, and university students to better understand climate science and solutions.
Quezon City, Philippines
608 Climate Reality Leaders
- - Built for the future with a new host and partner.
Climate Reality In Japan
764 Climate Reality Leaders
- Held a successful Climate Reality Leadership Corps training for 766 new Climate Reality Leaders.
- Engaged Climate Reality Leaders through opportunities like 24 Hours of Reality.