Reports To: Director of Advancement
Direct Reports: None
Classification: Full Time, Salary Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US Vice President Al
Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a
necessity across every sector of society.
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the climate crisis. We
do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all voices are heard
and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, age, or physical ability. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with
these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We
encourage applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on our
We are hiring in the DC (DMV) region only.
The Climate Reality Project is seeking an experienced writer, strategic thinker, and development communications professional to expand the organization’s fundraising efforts and provide critical support to the Advancement and Communications departments.
The Advancement Writer will develop a major and institutional donor communications strategy and prepare compelling and persuasive external materials to inform and inspire current and prospective funding partners. The writer will work closely with fundraising, communications, and programmatic staff to gather information and use it to create fundraising proposals, project summaries, web language, stewardship communications, annual appeals, and other written collateral from conception to completion in support of the organization’s major and institutional donor fundraising efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Serves as lead writer, editor, and communications staff for Advancement department
- Prepares letters of intent, proposals, grant applications, and other pitch materials for existing and prospective major and institutional solicitations.
- Proofreads and provides editorial suggestions on existing materials. Makes changes and edits to existing pieces, often incorporating changes from multiple parties simultaneously.
- Works alongside fundraisers to fine tune and prepare targeted timely pitch materials.
- Works with program teams to gather information and write summaries of specific campaigns and initiatives that demonstrate impact for fundraising purposes. Ensure plans are kept updated.
- Work closely with the Evaluation department to track and capture outcomes and measures of success across the organization.
- Schedule, manage, and conduct interviews with internal staff as needed to capture timely information on programming and outcomes.
- Prepare quarterly donor newsletter from President & CEO.
- Prepare frequent and customized impact updates for existing and prospective donors.
- Regularly collaborates with the Communications department to ensure consistency with messaging, theme, brand, design, content, following established Climate Reality guidelines. Attends weekly team and editorial calls as necessary.
- Write organization’s Organizational Priorities and Annual Report, as well as advise on final design concepts.
- Work with Charitable Giving Manager to prepare annual year-end mail campaign.
- Prepare correspondence and slide decks about our organization’s work for use by senior leadership.
- Work with Communications department to regularly audit and update website content, ensuring content is timely and best reflects work and priorities of the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Impeccable persuasive written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in use of grammar, pronunciation, and syntax in line with organization’s style guides.
- Shares commitment to incorporating and uplifting diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice within the work product and process. Familiarity with the Global South and issues impacting climate and environmental justice a plus.
- Ability to speak and write with confidence and perspective around issues of racial justice.
- Strategic and critical thinker.
- Employ strong storytelling and development-writing principles.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects at once often with shifting priorities.
- Experience synthesizing information from various sources in a timely manner, and work both collaboratively and independently with multiple teams and perspectives.
- Ability to write in various leadership voices.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite preferred.
Education and Experience:
- At least five years of professional fundraising experience, preferably in development communications and writing.
- Experience working at a non-profit organization, in progressive issue advocacy, or in policy and/or political expertise preferred.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
Excellent benefits, including employer paid 100% employee medical, life, dental, vision. 401K, Paid Parental Leave and other fringe benefits such as wellness days, vacation and sick time are all included.
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities, and termination.
Please send cover letter, two writing samples, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org