Senior Vice President of Operations
About the Climate Reality Project
Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every sector of society.
We believe real change comes from the ground up. We know that a small-but-committed critical mass of activists can not only transform society but change the world. That’s why we recruit, train, and mobilize people to become powerful activists, providing the skills, campaigns, and resources to push for aggressive climate action and high-level policies that accelerate a just transition to clean energy.
Our signature activist program, the Climate Reality Leadership Corps, has trained over 42,000 change makers worldwide since 2006. The result is a global network of activists leading the fight for climate solutions through our 10 branch offices – Australia, Brazil, Canada, Europe, India, Indonesia, Japan, Mexico, the Philippines, and South Africa and a partnership in China – and 140 chapters across the US.
Alongside these efforts, our dynamic communications initiatives connect climate and behavioral science with the emotional power of compelling stories, raising awareness and inspiring action in online audiences everywhere.
The Climate Reality Project is seeking a Senior Vice President of Operations (SVP) to provide strategic leadership and hands-on solutions in response to operational needs throughout the organization. As a member of the senior leadership team, the SVP works closely with other senior leaders to determine and meet the strategic goals and objectives of the organization.
Reporting to President and CEO Phyllis Cuttino, the SVP will be driven by overarching goals of optimizing systems, workflows, and cross-functional relationships to support the organization. They will design and support critical path identification, risk management practices, process improvements, and contingencies. They will supervise HR, IT, IS, and facilities. The SVP will set clear and accountable goals for self and their teams and ensure alignment with Climate Reality’s strategic goals. This role is highly cross-functional and will involve collaboration with many internal partners, including global programmatic team members. This position is based in Washington, DC. Our current policy is a hybrid approach where our staff will come to our Washington DC office two days a week.
Core responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead Climate Reality Project’s overall operational strategy, focused on innovating, integrating, and delivering solutions.
- In partnership with the senior leadership team, consistently assess, evaluate, and align services to ensure that internal operations are effective, compliant, innovative, and aligned to the organization’s mission, vision, and strategic priorities.
- Provide strategic, cross-functional leadership across disciplines and departments.
- Work in close collaboration with the President and CEO to craft, implement, and fine tune a work environment for The Climate Reality Project in the post-pandemic era.
- Lead, coach, and mentor a dynamic staff of 2 direct reports, including the Director of People and the Salesforce Developer.
- Engage with the Board of Directors and serve as contributor to Board projects and initiatives.
- Lead across teams to foster a culture of continuous feedback, incorporating staff feedback into operational strategy, innovation, and assessment.
- Support and reinforce Climate Reality Project’s ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives by building and modeling a culture of respect, inclusion, and safety.
Candidates should have a track record of success in senior-level roles with experience supporting advocacy, climate/environmental justice, global work, or other related progressive spaces. Above all else, they understand the intersecting challenges of advocacy and climate justice and the urgency of the issue.
The next SVP knows that success depends on cultivating a respectful, compassionate, and engaging workforce. As a people manager, they set clear roles, responsibilities, and standards for their teams, solicit feedback, create career pathways that foster staff growth and development at all levels, and foster a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Leading with empathy, they are committed to cultivating an environment that positions the organization as a preferred human services employer. The SVP will bring significant experience in leading and developing systems that will serve the organization, its activists, team, and mission.
While no single candidate will offer every desired professional and personal quality, skill, and characteristic, the following list represents a set of core desired characteristics, competencies, and experiences:
VALUES ALIGNMENT AND PASSION FOR THE MISSION
- Authenticity strong collaborator and listener, and genuine passion for Climate Reality’s mission and vision.
- Ability to motivate and engage team members by ensuring that operational practices and internal cultures are aligned with and reflect core values and mission.
- Lead by example, demonstrating a service orientation with deep empathy, diplomacy, and exceptional listening skills.
- Provide a forward-thinking approach to operations that is seeking to innovate and improve in an evolving environment.
- Embrace the culture with a collaborative spirit and a sense of humor.
- Experience holding space for, and participating in, difficult conversations around sensitive subjects in both 1:1 and group settings.
- Offer unquestioned integrity, ethics, and values— the ability to engender trust and respect confidentiality with the maturity and professional judgment to know when and how to elevate issues.
BOLSTER A DIVERSE AND INCLUSIVE CULTURE
- Promote building and developing a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization and global team in which all voices are heard and valued.
- Partner with managers to define, embody, and champion Climate Reality’s culture and core values, ensuring that these remain core across a global organization operating in multiple contexts and settings.
- Serve as a strong systems and culture carrier for the organization and encourage thoughtful communication and best practices in our work.
- Bring an intersectional lens to the work being done internally.
CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT AND CHANGE MANAGEMENT
- Ability to identify, support, and champion opportunities for change and continuous improvement.
- Experience in innovative organizational design and growth in a progressive organization.
- A process thinker with the ability to leverage evaluation and analytics to measure. impact while being flexible enough to respond to new priorities as they arise.
- Demonstrated success in developing, implementing, and continuously evaluating operational policies and systems that support the mission and values of the organization and adhere with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements globally and locally.
RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT AND PARTNERSHIPS
- Lead operations team, provide guidance and leadership to team members.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a board of directors with tact, diplomacy, and gravitas.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and influentially with members at all levels within an organization.
- Build and sustain open, collaborative relationships with a diverse range of internal teams (HR, Finance, IT, IS) by leading with compassion, respect, and professional maturity.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary will be determined according to a salary scale which considers commensurate experience and is expected to start at $200,000.
COMMITMENT TO SAFETY
Protecting our community from COVID-19 continues to be a priority. Based on the recommendations of scientists, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and OSHA health officials, vaccination provides the best protection against severe infection. COVID-19 vaccines are required as a condition of employment with the Climate Reality Project.
For health and safety reasons at The Climate Reality Project, current and future employees are required to provide proof that they are “up to date” with their COVID-19 vaccination, as defined by the U.S. CDC or to obtain approval by Climate Reality for a sincerely held religious or spiritual belief or medical accommodation or as required by applicable law.
Koya Partners, the executive search firm that specializes in mission-driven search, has been exclusively retained for this engagement. Molly Brennan, Turner Delano, and Chris Mora of Koya Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express interest in this role please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Koya Partners is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals living with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual living with a disability and need assistance expressing interest online, please email NonprofitSearchOps@divsearch.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other category prohibited by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities, and termination.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world. For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com. Senior Vice President of Operations, Climate Reality Project 9