Operations and IT/IS Project Manager
The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US Vice President Al Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every sector of society.
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the climate crisis. We do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all voices are heard and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical ability. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We encourage applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on our website.
The Operations and IT/IS Project Manager will create and lead The Climate Reality’s Project Management Office, helping to build, implement, and train on a suite of project management tools and best practices for Program and Operations teams. As an integral member of the Operations and IT/IS teams, they will work under the supervision of the SVP of Operations to implement Climate Reality’s IT/IS strategy, including as the lead project manager for new and legacy system implementations and updates across the organization. They will be a close partner of the Application Support Trainer to ensure staff, stakeholders, and leadership are engaged in any IT/IS related change management process, with the tools, resources, and knowledge they need to learn, adopt, and fully utilize Climate Reality’s systems.
The salary for the role is $123,799/year
This is a hybrid position, currently expected to work from Climate Reality’s downtown DC office at least two days per week.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as a subject matter expert and provide day to day leadership of Climate Reality PMO, ensuring responsive engagement with staff, stakeholders, and leadership
- Scope existing requirements, build, implement, and train on a suite project management tools and best practices that Program and Operations teams can utilize within their own teams to optimize and manage their work
- Lead project management working group with program-team level project managers, in order to support and foster organization wide work, learning, and implementation
- Ensure post-project documentation, learning capture, and debriefs are completed for each project in a timely manner
- Serve as primary IT/IS project manager throughout new and legacy system lifecycles from requirements gathering through system deactivation, ensuring end user and leadership engagement, as well as liaising with outside vendors as needed
- Support SVP Ops in project management and implementation of a strategy and roadmap for an enterprise systems architecture that provides technology solutions for all key business functions that focuses on integrated systems
- Support establishment and project management for technology governance committee including business and data owners for each system
- Project manage IT/IS team to plan for upgrades, seasonal releases, and long-term projects. Support and ensure communications, change management, and training are strongly embedded throughout all planning and projects
- Support compliance efforts related to data security, data management, and data privacy, in close collaboration with Legal, Programs, and Executive Team
- Maintain knowledge of trends, project management best practices and new technologies
- Support and contribute to the ongoing improvement of our operations and enrichment of our culture, for example by serving on ad hoc or ongoing work groups, assisting with the onboarding and training of colleagues, and participating in efforts to assess, refine, and strengthen our culture and practices
- Develop, maintain, and manage relationships with external IT vendors and service providers
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Abilities
- Track record of successfully planning, managing, and implementing projects, especially related to new system implementation
- Highly proficient with variety of project management tools and methodologies as well as Microsoft Office Suite. Familiarity with Mac operating environments helpful but not required
- Advanced knowledge of the Project Management Lifecycle as well as Software Development Lifecycle, Related Exposure to Software Solution environments,
- Understanding of Salesforce & Non-Profit Success Pack functionality highly desired
- Ability to develop projects via an Agile/Scrum and or Waterfall methodologies
- Ability to engage all levels of staff to identify and apply solutions
- As this will be a highly collaborative and front-facing role, outstanding verbal and written communication, as well as strong interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills are required
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer required
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business, or relevant field
- At least 5 years of experience managing projects, with a documented history of successful project completion, especially related to new system implementation
- PMP highly desired
- Has at least 2 to 3 years of relevant IT/IS experience
- Experience in non-profit, association, or education sectors highly desired
- A demonstrated ability to understand and articulate complex processes
- Lived experience with marginalized communities
The Climate Reality Project has adopted a competency-based approach to job definition, hiring, performance assessment, and professional development. The following are our seven organization-wide competencies and examples of how they manifest for this role.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Builds and sustains productive working relationships with colleagues; actively listens to others and seeks to understand diverse perspectives; follows through on commitments.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Demonstrates the ability to adapt to changing priorities and circumstances; takes initiative to solve problems, improve processes, and/or achieve outcomes; learns quickly when faced with new situations or systems.
- Written and Verbal Communication: Written communication is clear and concise; verbal communication is intentional and straightforward; provides timely and helpful information across the organization as needed; gives and receives constructive feedback in a thoughtful manner.
- Time and Project Management: Possesses a strong work ethic i.e., a sense of ownership over tasks, commitment to following things through, and a willingness to do what it takes to get the job done; manages multiple competing priorities, tasks, and projects effectively, appropriately seeking help from others when needed.
- Professional Development: Shows commitment and acts to continuously improve; connects with advocates, experts, mentors, and resources, and actively seeks new ways to grow and be challenged through internal and external training opportunities; accepts assignments that broaden capabilities.
- Climate Justice: Works to understand and achieve anti-racist principles to disrupt the systems of white supremacy, privilege, classism, sexism, and racism; seeks to understand how systemic racism and environmental injustice impact individuals and frontline and fenceline communities; works to promote a welcoming and inclusive environment in Climate Reality spaces (workplace, events, trainings, and other convenings).
- Climate Reality Mission and Focus: Is passionate about Climate Reality's role and mission and can act as a Climate Reality ambassador to a diverse set of audiences.
In addition to organization-wide competencies, each role has its own competencies. Below are examples of how each competency manifests in this role.
- Policies and Procedures: Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations and recommended best practices, as well as Climate Reality organizational policies and procedures. Leads IT project management and negotiates with vendors and other key stakeholders. Oversees mandatory and non-mandatory training, continuing education, and work assessments. Scopes and plans IT platform needs and makes recommendations to senior leadership.
- Technology Skills and Data Systems: Uses technology and software relevant to job duties effectively (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Salesforce, ADP, GitHub, project management software and tools, etc.); manages internal electronic documents effectively, including for the purposes of compliance, hiring, and retention.
- Interpersonal Skills: Practices positive employee relations, including maintaining a positive morale and a genuine, upbeat work environment; coaches employees, supervisors, and managers in effective interpersonal communications and conflict resolution. Models diplomatic and collaborative decision-making.
- Change Management Skills: Champions the use of organization-wide systems and promotes the adoption of policies and procedures in all messaging. Holds department leadership accountable for the consistent application of policies through regular feedback and collaboration. Works with departments to develop written implementation plans to deploy operational and IT strategies. Assesses organizational needs and determines areas for support and improvement through regular staff touchpoints (e.g. surveys, polls, etc.). Communicates insights, trends, surface issues, and next steps from IT systems. Integrates metrics, monitoring, and dashboards to inform organizational routines and processes.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Climate Reality, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in this job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities and termination.
Excellent benefits, including employer paid 100% employee medical, life, dental, vision. 401K, Paid Parental Leave and other fringe benefits such as wellness days, vacation and sick time are all included.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.