Prospect Research & Development Manager
Reports To: Director of Advancement
Direct Reports: None
Salary Band 73,043
Classification: Full Time, Salary Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US Vice President Al
Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a
necessity across every sector of society.
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the climate crisis. We
do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all voices are heard
and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, age, or physical ability. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with
these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We
encourage applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on our
Our Washington, DC office is open. Our current policy is a hybrid approach where our staff will come to our Washington DC office two days a week
The Climate Reality Project is seeking an experienced prospect researcher to expand the organization’s fundraising efforts and provide critical support to the Advancement Department. The Prospect Research & Development Manager will execute the department’s prospect research strategy, including pipeline development and portfolio management, conduct prospect research, as well as provide strategic direction to senior management on prospective donors with major gift and principal gift capacity. This is a unique opportunity to take ownership of a prospect research program, while working independently and collaboratively with a small fundraising team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Prospect Research & Identification – 55%
- Develops, executes, and leads the organization’s prospect research strategy, identifying and qualifying prospects to support Climate Reality’s work.
- Directs and leads research workflow and scope of work of research team members, including the management of research consultant.
- Leads and conducts in-depth research on prospective individual donors and foundations for significant financial impact, utilizing wealth and propensity screenings, relationship mapping science tools, public records, and other sources. Significant emphasis placed on identification of new external prospects regionally or by issue to support organizational programming and priorities.
- Synthesizes research to develop concise and thorough research reports, profiles, briefing documents, and recommendations for President/CEO, Chairman, board members, and gift officers.
- Fulfills timely research requests for leadership as requested.
- Actively identifies and qualifies institutional giving prospects and opportunities.
- Becomes familiar and well-versed in current supporters and their background, and proactively share up to date information, current events, and opportunities with gift officers and leadership.
Prospect Management – 25%
- Implements and executes progressive pipeline moves management, as well as portfolio development and optimization to ensure refined, focused, and balanced portfolios for gift officers.
- Plans, organizes, and participates in regular prospect review meetings, providing key donor insights and strategy to gift officers, and advising on plans for engagement and solicitation.
Prospect Analytics – 15%
- Formulates data analytics tools and practices to proactively identify new prospects for pipeline, patterns and trends in prospect pool, and strategic recommendations to gift officers and leadership.
- Manages and maintains Salesforce reports, dashboards, tracking systems and lists to monitor fundraising performance, prospect analysis, and portfolio upkeep (including assigning and monitoring engagement and cultivation tasks).
- Prioritizes and ensures data accuracy and integrity of donor information in Salesforce, including regular upkeep of information.
Other – 5%:
- Actively identifies new research tools and processes.
- Manages research intern as needed.
- Uphold organization’s commitment to diversity, equity, justice, and inclusion by identifying areas to increase diversity of prospect and donor pool.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Commitment to Climate Reality’s mission and values, and the principles of diversity, equity, justice, and inclusion
- 2-3 years’ experience in a prospect research field
- Proven track record of identifying and qualifying prospects, with emphasis on external prospects
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize large amounts of information into digestible and accessible information for leadership and fundraisers
- Innate curiosity
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and develop proactive prospecting methodologies
- Familiarity with utilizing analytics in a CRM, Salesforce preferred
- Ability to work on multiple projects at once, and balance time sensitive and changing priorities.
- Ability to think strategically, take initiative, and use sound judgement
- Ability to work independently with a small fundraising team and remain flexible
- A self-starter
- Experience and advanced understanding of research tools and software, iWave preferred
- Knowledge of APRA’s Body of Knowledge a plus
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Optimistic and positive attitude a must
Excellent benefits, including employer paid 100% employee medical, life, dental, vision. 401K, Paid Parental Leave and other fringe benefits such as wellness days, vacation and sick time are all included.
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities, and termination.
Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with ‘Prospect Research & Development Manager’ in the subject line.