Executive Assistant to the President & CEO
The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US Vice President Al Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every sector of society.
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the climate crisis. We do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all voices are heard and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical ability. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We encourage applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on our website.
The Climate Reality Project is seeking an experienced Executive Assistant to support the President and CEO and the Executive Office. Reporting to the Executive Office Director, the Executive Assistant is a critical member of the Executive Department who will lead scheduling and manage calendars, arrange logistics and travel, provide meeting support, and process monthly reconciliations and invoices for the Office of the President and CEO. They will also liaise with the Chairman’s Office and Board on scheduling, correspondence, and other needs as they arise.
This is a hybrid position, currently expected to work from Climate Reality’s downtown DC office at least two days per week. The salary for the role is $74920
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Executive Office Support
- Works mostly autonomously on assignments, handles sensitive and confidential information with integrity and discretion, and uses best judgement to make effective decisions and problem solve
- Schedule and maintain daily and long-term calendar of appointments for both internal and external meetings and calls, with careful attention to prioritize all meetings, invitations and calls on behalf of the President and CEO to support and advance strategic plan and day to day mission
- Prepare for daily meeting to brief President and CEO and Executive Office Director, provide recommendations for the day, highlight upcoming priorities, and flag urgent issues
- Act as a liaison with Chairman’s office to include scheduling any meetings requiring our Chairman’s involvement, answer questions from their team and forward materials as necessary
- Coordinate closely with the Executive Office Director to develop and maintain professional working relationships with the Executive Team and Senior Management Team
- Build, sustain, and maintain direct working relationships and facilitate communication and scheduling with the President and CEO’s diverse range of internal and external contacts, consultants, and partners
- Manage monthly credit card reconciliation and monthly reimbursement process for the President and CEO, process all Executive Office invoices, and update departmental budget projections based on actual expenses
- Coordinate with Chairman’s Scheduler to schedule Board of Directors meetings.
- Work closely with Executive Office Director to draft, edit, and assist in the development and distribution of board materials
- Support virtual and in-person board meeting logistics such as hosting and distributing dial-in information, venue rental, catering, and on-site needs
Facilitation & Problem Solving
- Support logistics for meetings such as document collation, downloading & uploading and managing presentation decks, screensharing on Zoom calls, catering, welcoming VIPs, and managing daily timing to ensure President and CEO is prepared to maximize time and effectiveness of meetings
- Create travel and itineraries, process visa applications, coordinate on-the-ground logistics to include car service or ground transportation, book meal reservations and miscellaneous appointments. Where needed, coordinate with Advancement and other departments in support of itinerary development and travel planning
- In conjunction with the Executive Office Director, periodically review operating practices and scheduling procedures for the Executive Office and assist in determining whether improvements can be made for effectiveness
- Provide support and coordinate with Helpdesk as needed for Executive Office technology needs
- Prepare and distribute agendas, meeting minutes, and post-meeting action items for internal meetings
- Support and contribute to the ongoing improvement of our operations and enrichment of our culture, for example by serving on ad hoc or ongoing work groups, assisting with the onboarding and training of colleagues, and participating in efforts to assess, refine, and strengthen our culture and practices
- Prepare mailings and FedEx as needed, and perform other duties as assigned
Required Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work in high-visibility and fast-paced environment
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail is critical, and must understand and keep in mind the big and long-term picture
- Ability to prioritize and strategize self and principal’s tasks and daily needs
- Strong ability in Microsoft Office suite required, previous experience in Salesforce desired
- Advanced user of either (or both) Microsoft PowerPoint or Keynote, including ability to create, update, manage, and coordinate presentations for events
- Optimistic and positive attitude a must
- Periods of evening and weekend work, as well as travel domestically and internationally for events several times per year, and occasionally short notice domestic travel to staff President and CEO as needed
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including active listening, confidence to push back on behalf of CEO priorities when needed, provide sound recommendations, as well as anticipate and take action when needed
- Strong organizational skills and emotional intelligence
- Commitment to Climate Reality’s mission and values
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer required
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree—or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3 years’ working closely with and supporting organization principal or executive-level professionals, including experience with scheduling, logistics, prioritizing tasks, and daily executive office functions
- Comfort and experience handling sensitive and confidential information with integrity and discretion
- Experience in a Mac operating environment is highly desired
The Climate Reality Project has adopted a competency-based approach to job definition, hiring, performance assessment, and professional development. The following are our seven organization-wide competencies and examples of how they manifest for this role.
- Teamwork and Collaboration: Actively listens to others and seeks to understand diverse perspectives; proactively and effectively manages larger teams; demonstrates the ability to effectively supervise.
- Flexibility and Adaptability: Demonstrates the ability to adapt to changing priorities and circumstances; takes initiative to solve problems, improve processes, and/or achieve outcomes; learns quickly when faced with new situations or systems.
- Written and Verbal Communication: Written communication is clear and concise; verbal communication is intentional and straightforward; clearly communicates a shared vision and priorities for the department; clearly conveys objectives, deadlines, and expectations to supervisees.
- Time and Project Management: Manages multiple competing priorities, tasks, and projects effectively; holds staff and self accountable for achieving objectives; effectively manages conflict among the team, seeing conflicts as opportunities, integrating diverse views and finding common ground, and settling differences in productive ways.
- Professional Development: Actively learns through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder; supports supervisees’ professional development by providing opportunities to put skills into practice; connects supervisees to other advocates, experts, mentors, and resources and to substantive training opportunities.
- Climate Justice: Knows and understands how systems and structures perpetuate inequities internally and externally; fully supports the organization's efforts to change said systems and structures; works to promote a welcoming and inclusive environment in Climate Reality spaces (workplace, events, trainings, and other convenings).
- Climate Reality Mission and Focus: Is passionate about Climate Reality's role and mission and can act as a Climate Reality ambassador to a diverse set of audiences; stays up-to-date on climate trends, impacts and solutions.
In addition to organization-wide competencies, each role has its own competencies. Below are examples of how each competency manifests in this role.
- Communication Skills: Can work effectively with various constituencies, including the Board of Directors, other department heads, program directors, staff, and donors; is an articulate and persuasive communicator
- Technology and Data Systems: Can use technology relevant to job duties effectively; manages internal electronic document storage effectively. Stays up-to-date on current and new technology and data systems related to office and Executive needs
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates proficiency in working with numerous internal stakeholders, builds relationships, and ensures best practices that support data collection and tracking of necessary information; thrives on meeting new people and getting them excited about shared passions and interests, naturally thoughtful in engagements.
- Customer Service Orientation: Navigates sensitive information and situations with discretion and effective follow-up; handles difficult partnerships/relationships.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Climate Reality, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification in this job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability or any other category prohibited by local, state or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social and recreational activities and termination.
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Excellent benefits, including employer paid 100% employee medical, life, dental, vision. 401K, Paid Parental Leave and other fringe benefits such as wellness days, vacation and sick time are all included.