CLIMATE REALITY LEADERSHIP CORPS TRAINING
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA | JUNE 11–13, 2022
DEADLINE IS ON APRIL 25, 2022 AT 1 PM (ET)
This summer, The Climate Reality Project will host the 49th Climate Reality Leadership Corps Training for climate activists across the Southwest. The training will take place in Las Vegas, Nevada from June 11–13.
During this two-and-a-half day training, you'll learn about the impacts of the climate crisis shaping the Southwest – and how you can make a difference. Our trainings are led by former Vice President Al Gore and a team of world-renowned scientists, activists, innovators, and more.
The training will be delivered in English. Simultaneous Spanish interpretation will be offered during some sessions. Este entrenamiento se impartirá en inglés. Sin embargo, traducción simultánea en español será ofrecida durante algunas sesiones.
The training gives attendees the opportunity to:
- Learn to become an effective activist and leader, equipped with essential skills for public speaking, influencing decision makers, advocacy, community organizing, and more.
- Hear from regional experts on the climate crisis and how we can still prevent the worst impacts, with a particular focus on climate justice and public health, building green communities, and making a just transition to clean energy.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the relationship between the climate crisis and environmental justice issues.
- Connect with Climate Reality Leaders and learn about our global network of activists.
- Network with individuals and organizations leading the charge for solutions to the most pressing crisis of our time.
And the training is just the beginning! Once you are trained, you will become a Climate Reality Leader and join the Climate Reality Leadership Corps of over 42,000 activists from 170 countries who are fighting to solve the climate crisis.
At The Climate Reality Project, our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every level of society. We know that climate justice must be at the heart of this effort if we’re going to create a truly equitable and healthy future for all. We also know more needs to be done to build an inclusive climate movement that listens to and learns from communities experiencing environmental injustice firsthand. That’s why our training scholarships aim to increase representation of these communities, many of who have been historically left out of the climate conversation.
One of the biggest barriers to attending a Climate Reality Leadership Corps training is the cost of travel. To help people in frontline communities, students, youth activists, low-income individuals and faith leaders overcome this barrier and build a more inclusive and powerful movement, the scholarship program provides funds to cover transportation, hotel accommodation, meals, and childcare for selected participants committed to building a healthy and equitable future for all.
We are looking for 50 passionate volunteers who are ready to work together and take action to save our planet. Does this sound like you? If yes, then keep reading to learn more about the scholarship opportunity!
While there is no registration fee for the training, our scholarship program covers travel, meal, and lodging costs for selected individuals. For those who need support to cover incurred childcare expenses during the training days, a fixed daily stipend will be provided. Depending on the scholarship recipient’s location, the scholarship benefits may include:
- Accommodation: The training will be held in Las Vegas, Nevada from June 11–13, 2022. Attendees are highly encouraged to arrive in the Las Vegas area on the afternoon of June 10. Climate Reality will provide scholarship recipients with free accommodation from June 10–13.
- Transportation: Scholarship recipients will be able to suggest their preferred modes of transportation to the training. This may include taxi, bus, train, airplane, or a personal transportation vehicle. Climate Reality will be responsible for booking train, bus, and plane tickets for those who select these transportation services. Individuals driving themselves to the training site or taking a taxi will be reimbursed for milage expenses or taxi fares in a per-diem card at the registration desk during the training opening. The mileage reimbursement will be calculated at this rate from the scholarship recipient’s residence to the training.
- Meal Stipends: Scholarship recipients will receive a per-diem card to cover expenses for meals that are not offered during the training. Per diem for meals are calculated by Climate Reality as follows:
- Breakfast: $15.00
- Lunch: $25.00
- Dinner: $35.00
- Childcare services stipend: Scholarship recipients who need support to cover expenses for child care will receive a daily fixed stipend of $50 for each day of the event. Scholarship recipients will receive the total amount of $150 in a per diem card at the registration desk of the training.
Please note that scholarship awards may be taxable to the recipient.
WHO CAN APPLY?
To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants must make sure they:
- Live within the targeted geographic area: The Las Vegas Leadership Corps Training has a regional focus on the Southwest and Mountain West part of the United States. As such, we will only consider applications from individuals living in Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Southern California, Utah, or Western Texas. Priority will be given to applicants who reside in or near the training location.
- Meet the minimum age requirement: Applicants need to be at least 13 years of age to attend the training and apply for a scholarship. Any individuals below the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. The parent or legal guardian must also apply and be accepted to our Las Vegas Leadership Corps Training in order to attend.
- Identify as part of one of the targeted groups: The scholarship program welcomes applications from individuals who lack the economic means to participate in our trainings. We encourage applications from:
- Frontline communities*
- Youth activists or students
- Low-income communities
- Faith communities
- Climate Reality chapter members (who have not attended a training previously)
- Are not related to Climate Reality employees or board members.
- Are not a Climate Reality Leader: Scholarships are not available for individuals who attended and successfully completed a Climate Reality Leadership Corps Training.
- Have not previously received a scholarship: The scholarship program seeks to benefit individuals who have not received a scholarship from Climate Reality in previous years.
* Climate Reality understands frontline communities are those that experience the impacts of climate change first and worst. Communities of color (Black, brown, Indigenous, and Asian), low-income communities, and those who live in places impacted by environmental disaster and extractive industry have disproportionally endured the physical, economic, and mental burdens of climate change. Because of their lived experiences, frontline communities can speak with authority on climate solutions that will improve and succeed in their communities.
HOW TO APPLY?
Please click here to complete the scholarship application. You have until April 25, 2022 at 1 PM to submit your information.
If you have questions about the scholarship program or require special accommodations to complete the scholarship application, please send us an email at email@example.com
Climate Reality will offer 50 scholarships for the upcoming Leadership Corps Training in Las Vegas. To select scholarship recipients, we will consider the following criteria:
- Personal Statement (35%): Tell us about yourself, how did you become interested in environmental issues and what is your experience in environmental advocacy. Applicants with personal experience bearing the brunt of, or helping to ameliorate the environmental and climate injustices on the front lines including the causes and the consequences of the climate crisis will receive priority.
- Potential Impact (35%): Tell us about a climate issue in your community and how would receiving this scholarship and attending our Climate Reality Leadership Corps training empower you to take action? Applicants with understanding of the climate issues affecting their community and of the ways that the Training and scholarship would help them take action will receive priority.
- Location (20%): Proximity of the applicant’s residence location to the region where the training is taking place. Applicants who can attend the Training using less carbon will be prioritized for selection.
- Partner Relationship (10%): Applicants that were endorsed by or show affiliation with a partner organization for the training.
April 25: Application deadline at 1 PM (ET)
Before or on May 15: Announcement of scholarship recipients
June 11-13: Attend the Climate Reality Leadership Corps Training in Las Vegas.
WHAT TO EXPECT IF YOU ARE SELECTED AS A SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT?
- We will reach out to you by email or phone to notify you of your selection.
- You will have to complete and submit a travel logistics form in order to confirm the acceptance of your scholarship.
- Climate Reality will stay in contact regarding travel arrangements and reimbursements of any out-of-pocket expenses you may need to incur prior the training, such as mileage, taxi fare, childcare stipend, etc.
- Attend the training from June 11–13. Please note we expect scholarship recipients to attend all days of the event and successfully complete the training.
All attendees are required to be up to date in their vaccinations against COVID-19 prior to arriving at the training. Proof of up-to-date vaccination is required and is equivalent to two doses of the primary series of the Pfizer-BioNtech or Moderna vaccine, or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, AND one booster dose of either the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine received at least two weeks prior to June 11. Testing requirements will be announced closer to the training. Possible masking requirements will also be announced closer to the training date, and will be based on federal and local policies and guidelines. For more information on our COVID-19 mitigation guidelines and requirements, please click here. Please note that these requirements are subject to change based on current conditions at the time. If you have any specific questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.