Washington, DC (11/09/15) – 24 Hours of Reality and Live Earth: The World Is Watching will include dynamic appearances and performances from world-renowned musicians and entertainers and will be available to a global audience through mobile, web, and television broadcast as it seeks to engage with people worldwide to build momentum for strong action at the upcoming UN climate talks in Paris. The broadcast is produced by The Climate Reality Project and Live Earth. The Climate Reality Project’s partnership with Live Earth for this fifth-annual broadcast means it will include an unprecedented artistic lineup and distribution platform to maximize its global reach.
Former US Vice President and Chairman of The Climate Reality Project Al Gore will lead the global broadcast of The World Is Watching, airing from 6pm CET, Friday, November 13 to 6pm CET, Saturday, November 14.The round-the-clock event will also include presentations from government leaders and climate experts and activists broadcasting from Paris and eight other countries around the world (United States, Australia, Brazil, India, Canada, China, the Philippines, and South Africa) to provide viewers with compelling, entertaining and informative content on the local and global impacts of climate change, as well as promising solutions that can be found around the world today.
In addition to French President François Hollande and Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo, experts like glaciologist Claude Lorius, elected leaders like California Governor Jerry Brown and other special guests will appear throughout the 24-hour broadcast.
24 Hours of Reality and Live Earth: The World Is Watching will have a truly global broadcast footprint. Visit www.24hoursofreality.org to find out how to watch the livestream where you live or on your mobile device.
For viewers in the United States, a 24-hour live stream will be available exclusively on mobile via go90—a free mobile-first, social-entertainment platform that can be downloaded via the App Store or Google Play. Verizon FiOS customers can watch "24 Hours of Reality" on FiOS1 (Channel 1 and 501 HD). The broadcast will also be available worldwide through www.24HoursOfReality.org, The Huffington Post, and www.AOL.com. Additional global broadcast partners will be announced later this week.
Each hour, the broadcast will be punctuated by thought-provoking, knockout appearances from an all-star lineup. The broadcast is aimed at urging world leaders to push for the strongest possible climate agreement at the upcoming UN conference in Paris, and at urging people to take action in their own communities and homes.
Musical Artists Announced Today
- Elton John
- Fall Out Boy
- Jon Bon Jovi
- Vance Joy
- WALK THE MOON
- Jared Leto, actor and activist
- Patrick J. Adams, actor and activist
- Atom Araullo, news reporter, ABS-CBN News
- Sarah Backhouse, founder & CEO of Future360.tv
- Ed Begley Jr., actor and activist
- Sam Champion, weather anchor, The Weather Channel
- Barkha Dutt, television journalist, NDTV
- Maria Paula Fidalgo, actor and activist
- Porter Fox, author and editor at Powder Magazine
- Vanessa Hauc, journalist, Telemundo
- Nicolas Ibarguen, environmental correspondent for Fusion and Univision
- Africa Melane, presenter, CapeTalk and 702
- Pierre Rabhi, writer, farmer and environmentalist
- Ryan Reynolds, actor and activist
- Calum Worthy, actor and activist
- President François Hollande, France
- President Felipe Calderon, Mexico
- Brian Deese, Senior Advisor to United States President Barack Obama
- Governor Jerry Brown, California, United States
- Premier Philippe Couillard, Québec, Canada
- Dr. Ernest Moniz, Secretary, United States Department of Energy
- Dr. Steven Miles, Queensland Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection, Australia
- Izabella Teixeira, Brazil, Minister of the Environment
- Mayor Anne Hidalgo, Paris, France
- Mayor Philip Levine, Miami Beach, United States
- Commissioner Greg Mullins, Fire and Rescue New South Wales, Australia
NGO and business leaders
- Dr. Anish Andheria, President of the Wildlife Conservation Trust
- Kofi Annan, former U.N. Secretary-General
- Chinmaya Acharya, Chief of Programs, Shakti Sustainable Energy Foundation
- Yoca Arditi-Rocha, Director and Founder, No Planeta B
- Ken Berlin, President and CEO, The Climate Reality Project
- Wang Binbin, Climate change communications expert
- Keith Brooks, Clean Economy Program Director, Environmental Defence Canada
- Ian Bruce, Science and Policy Manager, David Suzuki Foundation
- Dr. Fuqiang Yang, Senior Advisor, Climate and Energy, NRDC China
- Nicolas Hulot, Chairman of Fondation Nicolas Hulot and Special Envoy of the President of France to Protect the Planet.
- Daniela Ibarra-Howell, CEO, Savory Institute
- Natalie Isaacs, Co-founder and CEO at 1 Million Women
- Renee Karunungan, Advocacy Director, Dakila
- Aditi Kapoor, Director of Policy and Partnerships, Alternative Futures
- Melina Laboucan-Massimo, Lubicon Cree Leader, Canada
- Claude Lorius, Glaciologist, Director Emeritus of Research at CNRS
- Alix Mazounie, Climate Action Network – France
- Mithika Mwenda, Head of Pan-African Climate Justice Alliance
- Evan Rice, CEO, GreenCape
- Juliette Rousseau, Coalition Climat 21
- Mauricio Ruiz, Executive Secretary of Terra Institute of Environmental Preservation
- Yeb Sano, Leader, The People’s Pilgrimage
- Wang Shi, Chairman, China Vanke Co. Ltd.
- Alison Thompson, Chair and Managing Director, Canadian Geothermal Energy Association
- Gawher Nayeem Wahra, Director of Disaster Management and Climate Change, BRAC
- Zhang Xiangdong, Co-founder and CEO of 700Bike
- Adrian Yeo, CAN’s Leadership Development Program Fellow
“24 Hours of Reality and Live Earth: The World Is Watching is about making sure the people of the world are informed and engaged so that they can make their voices heard in their capitals and at the negotiating table in Paris,” said Vice President Al Gore. “The UN climate talks can be a breakthrough moment to change the dangerous course we’ve set for our planet. We want the world’s leaders to know the world is watching, and its time for them to act.”
“The media landscape is cluttered, people’s lives are busy and the way people access information and connect with each other varies from person to person. To cut through, you have to provide truly compelling content and match it with multiple distribution streams that reach people in their homes and on the go,” said Live Earth founder Kevin Wall. “The climate crisis is grave, so we are harnessing the best content and the latest in mobile, social media and online distribution to make sure we can connect with people everywhere.”
“We have to get every major country to make a strong commitment at COP 21,” said Climate Reality President and CEO Ken Berlin. “The time is now for world leaders to sign an emissions reduction agreement that includes five-year reviews of their commitments, a long-term goal, and the global prioritization of renewable energy. It is time for global action—the world is watching.”
With the UN talks in Paris (COP 21) approaching, a breakthrough in addressing climate change is finally at hand. Airing two weeks prior to when the monumental negotiations begin, the broadcast will serve to remind global leaders that the world is watching and demanding action to solve the climate crisis. The time has come for countries to take significant action and make strong commitments to reduce emissions, combat climate change and set us on a path towards a better future. For more information, visit www.24hoursofreality.org.
About The Climate Reality Project
The Climate Reality Project is one of the world’s leading organizations dedicated to mobilizing action around climate change. With a global movement more than 5 million strong and a grassroots network of trained Climate Reality Leader activists, we are spreading the truth about climate change and building widespread popular support for solutions. Former US Vice President and Nobel Laureate Al Gore is the Founder and Chairman of The Climate Reality Project. For more information, visit www.climaterealityproject.org or follow us on Twitter at @ClimateReality.
About Live Earth
Eight years after the inaugural Live Earth concert spread environmental awareness and spoke up for action on climate change around the globe, Climate Reality Founder and Chairman Al Gore, Emmy Award-winning producer Kevin Wall, and multi-Grammy award-winning mega-star Pharrell Williams revived the Live Earth legacy to once again make music a powerful force for climate action in the lead-up to this year’s UN talks in Paris.