Washington, DC (11/03/15) – Seeking to generate momentum for strong action on climate from world leaders in the final days before the UN climate talks in Paris, former US Vice President and Chairman of The Climate Reality Project Al Gore will lead the global broadcast of 24 Hours of Reality and Live Earth: The World Is Watching, airing from 6pm CET, Friday, November 13 to 6pm CET, Saturday, November 14. This round-the-clock program will unite a global audience in demanding a strong climate agreement in Paris and include presentations and performances from leading climate experts and activists and award-winning celebrities and musicians. French leaders President François Hollande and Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo will join in the broadcast, which is produced by The Climate Reality Project and Live Earth.
Anchored from Paris, The World Is Watching will broadcast live from the Champ de Mars in the Seventh Arrondissement and feature both live and pre-recorded segments from other spotlight locations in the United States, Australia, Brazil, India, Canada, China, the Philippines, and South Africa. The broadcast will focus on the local and global impacts of climate change, as well as promising solutions that can be found around the world today. In addition to President Hollande and Mayor Hidalgo, experts like glaciologist Claude Lorius, elected leaders like California Governor Jerry Brown and other special guests like film and television actor Ryan Reynolds will join throughout the 24-hour program. These include:
- President François Hollande, France
- Brian Deese, Senior Advisor to United States President Barack Obama
- Governor Jerry Brown, California, United States
- Premier Philippe Couillard, Québec, Canada
- Dr. Ernest Moniz, Secretary, United States Department of Energy
- Dr. Steven Miles, Queensland Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection, Australia
- Mayor Anne Hidalgo, Paris, France
- Mayor Philip Levine, Miami Beach, United States
- Patrick J. Adams, actor and activist
- Atom Araullo, News Reporter, ABS-CBN News
- Sarah Backhouse, Founder & CEO of Future360.tv
- Ed Begley Jr., Actor and Activist
- Sam Champion, Weather Anchor, The Weather Channel
- Barkha Dutt, Television Journalist, NDTV
- Maria Paula Fidalgo, Actor and Activist
- Porter Fox, Author and Editor at POWDER magazine
- Vanessa Hauc, Journalist, Telemundo
- Nicolas Ibarguen, Environmental Correspondent, Fusion and Univision
- Africa Melane, Presenter, CapeTalk and 702
- Ryan Reynolds, Actor and Activist
- Calum Worthy, Actor and Activist
NGO and business leaders
- Dr. Anish Andheria, President of the Wildlife Conservation Trust
- Kofi Annan, former UN Secretary-General
- Chinmaya Acharya, Chief of Programs, Shakti Sustainable Energy Foundation
- Yoca Arditi-Rocha, Director and Founder, No Planeta B
- Ken Berlin, President and CEO, The Climate Reality Project
- Wang Binbin, Climate Change Communication Expert
- Keith Brooks, Clean Economy Program Director, Environmental Defence
- Ian Bruce, Science and Policy Manager, David Suzuki Foundation
- Dr. Fuqiang Yang, Senior Advisor, Climate and Energy, Natural Resources Defense Council China
- Nicolas Hulot, Chairman of Fondation Nicolas Hulot and Special Envoy of the President of France to Protect the Planet.
- Daniela Ibarra-Howell, CEO, Savory Institute
- Claude Lorius, Glaciologist, Director Emeritus of Research at Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique
- Alix Mazounie, Climate Action Network – France
- Mithika Mwenda, Head of Pan-African Climate Justice Alliance
- Evan Rice, CEO, GreenCape
- Juliette Rousseau, Coalition Climat 21
- Mauricio Ruiz, Executive Secretary of Terra Institute of Environmental Preservation
- Bittu Sahgal, Founder of Sanctuary Asia
- Wang Shi, Chairman, China Vanke Co. Ltd.
- Zhang Xiangdong, Co-Founder and CEO of 700Bike
- Adrian Yeo, CAN’s Leadership Development Program Fellow
In addition to featuring engaging stories of climate impacts and solutions, each hour of the broadcast will be punctuated by thought-provoking, knockout appearances from all-star participants (which will be announced in a separate release). The broadcast is aimed at urging world leaders to push for the strongest possible climate agreement at the upcoming UN conference in Paris and at urging people to take action in their own communities and homes.
The Climate Reality Project’s partnership with Live Earth for this fifth-annual 24 Hours of Reality broadcast will give the program an unprecedented artistic lineup and distribution platform to maximize its global reach.
“‘24 Hours of Reality and Live Earth’ is about mobilizing people around the world to help solve the climate crisis and making our voices heard in national capitols and at the negotiating table in Paris,” said Vice President Al Gore. “The UN climate talks have the potential to produce a breakthrough that changes the dangerous course on which we are presently headed and put us instead on a path to a truly sustainable and prosperous future. We want leaders from every country to know that the world is watching, and that it’s time for them to take climate action.”
“We have to get every major country to make a strong commitment at COP 21,” said Climate Reality President and CEO Ken Berlin. “The time is now for world leaders to sign an emissions reduction agreement that includes five-year reviews of their commitments, a long-term goal, and the global prioritization of renewable energy. It is time for global action—the world is watching.”
“The media landscape is cluttered, people’s lives are busy and the way people access information and connect with each other varies from person to person. To cut through, you have to provide truly compelling content and match it with multiple distribution streams that reach people in their homes and on the go,” said Live Earth Founder Kevin Wall. “The climate crisis is grave, so we are harnessing the best content and the latest in mobile, social media, and online distribution to make sure we can connect with people everywhere.”
The broadcast will be seen all over the world across numerous media outlets and platforms; more information to come in subsequent releases.
Renaud Le Van Kim and his company Together Media have been chosen by The Climate Reality Project to produce the event in Paris. The entire production is being overseen by Executive Producer Peter M. Green and his partners at ShoulderHill Events.
About 24 Hours of Reality and Live Earth: The World Is Watching
With the UN talks in Paris (COP 21) approaching, a breakthrough in addressing climate change is finally at hand. Airing two weeks prior to the monumental negotiations begin, the broadcast will serve to remind global leaders that the world is watching and demanding action to solve the climate crisis. The time has come for countries to take significant action and make strong commitments to reduce emissions, combat climate change. and set us on a path towards a better future. For more information, visit www.24hoursofreality.org.
About The Climate Reality Project
The Climate Reality Project is one of the world’s leading organizations dedicated to mobilizing action around climate change. With a global movement more than 5 million strong and a grassroots network of trained Climate Reality Leader activists, we are spreading the truth about climate change and building widespread popular support for solutions. Former US Vice President and Nobel Laureate Al Gore is the founder and chairman of The Climate Reality Project. For more information, visit www.climaterealityproject.org or follow us on Twitter at @ClimateReality.
About Live Earth
Eight years after the inaugural Live Earth concert spread environmental awareness and spoke up for action on climate change around the globe, Climate Reality Founder and Chairman Al Gore, Emmy Award-winning producer Kevin Wall, and multi-Grammy award-winning mega-star Pharrell Williams revived the Live Earth legacy to once again make music a powerful force for climate action in the lead-up to this year’s UN talks in Paris.