UPDATED: Senior White House Advisors John Podesta and Mitch Landrieu to join Al Gore’s Climate Reality Project for an In-Depth Virtual Training on How to Leverage Recent Climate Legislation for Local Action
Washington, DC (March 8, 2023) – From April 6-20, The Climate Reality Project will host the Power Up Training: From Acts to Action to help individuals, business owners, state and local policymakers, educators, and community leaders learn about the funding opportunities and other incentives available through the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) and the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL). Led by Climate Reality’s founder and chairman, former US Vice President Al Gore, the training will feature sessions with Senior White House Advisors John Podesta and Mitch Landrieu, Governor Phil Murphy, White House Council on Environmental Quality Chair Brenda Mallory, and EPA Deputy Assistant Administrator for Environmental Justice Matthew Tejada – as well as other members of the Biden Administration and elected officials – to discuss how to leverage the IRA and BIL for climate action now.
The recent passage of these two historic acts offers the opportunity to speed up the just transition to clean energy, create millions of good jobs, and build healthy, thriving communities across the US. This unique training will empower communities to leverage the Inflation Reduction Act and Bipartisan Infrastructure Law for climate action to slash emissions, enact climate justice, and create jobs.
“The climate provisions in the Inflation Reduction Act and the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law are the culmination of years of hard work by climate advocates across the country. These policies represent a historic turning point in our ability to meet our decarbonization and climate justice goals,” said Vice President Gore. “Now is the moment to seize this game-changing opportunity and speed up the clean energy transition, build economic opportunities, and revitalize communities across the United States.”
Even for experienced policymakers, it can be challenging to navigate the novel provisions of federal legislation to access funding and manage reporting requirements. Through live and on-demand sessions, Vice President Gore and field-leading experts will explain the components of the IRA and BIL and how individuals, business owners, state and local policymakers, educators, and community leaders might best leverage these pieces of legislation to benefit their communities. Participants will hear from the Biden Administration, elected officials, and climate advocates including:
- LaTricea D. Adams, President and CEO, Black Millennials 4 Flint
- Saad Amer, Founder, Justice Environment
- Donnel Baird, Founder; Chief Executive Officer (CEO), BlocPower; Board Member, The Climate Reality Project
- Shalanda H. Baker, Director of the Office of Economic Impact and Diversity and the Secretarial Advisor on Equity at the DOE
- Jade Begay, Director of Policy and Advocacy, NDN Collective
- Catherine Coleman Flowers, Rural Development Manager, Equal Justice Initiative; Founder, The Center for Rural Enterprise and Environmental Justice; and Climate Reality Board Member
- Kate Johnson, Head of US Federal Affairs, C40 Cities
- Mitch Landrieu, Senior Advisor to the President and Infrastructure Coordinator
- Brenda Mallory, Chair of the White House Council on Environmental Quality
- Phil Murphy, Governor of New Jersey
- John Podesta, Senior Advisor to the President for Clean Energy Innovation and Implementation
- Tim Ryder, Legislative Assistant to Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer
- Sasha Stashwick, Director, Industrial Policy, Climate & Clean Energy Program, NRDC
- Matthew Tejada, Deputy Assistant Administrator for Environmental Justice at the EPA
- Sylvester Turner, Mayor, City of Houston
- Ron Wyden, Senator from Oregon
The registration for Power Up: From Acts to Action is open until March 20! To register, visit https://www.climaterealityproject.org/training/power-up-from-acts-action.
ABOUT THE CLIMATE REALITY PROJECT
Founded by Nobel Laureate and former US Vice President Al Gore, The Climate Reality Project is working to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every level of society. With a global movement more than 5 million strong and a grassroots network of trained Climate Reality Leaders, we are spreading the truth about the climate crisis and building popular support for clean energy solutions. For more information, visit www.climaterealityproject.org or follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.