The Climate Reality Project is a nonprofit organization founded by former US Vice President Al Gore. Our mission is to catalyze a global solution to the climate crisis by making urgent action a necessity across every sector of society.
At The Climate Reality Project, we come to work every day to help solve the climate crisis. We do it by working from the ground up, empowering people and communities worldwide to fight for their future and together drive a just transition to clean energy.
We are committed to building a more just and equitable world, one where all voices are heard and respected regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, or physical ability. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. We encourage applicants to read our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice statement on our website.
The goal of our internship program is to provide a high-quality learning experience that helps to form the foundation for a career in the climate change or environmental movement for a diverse group of individuals seeking hands-on work experience in the field.
We offer paid internships in three cycles (spring, summer, fall) that align to typical college semesters. Each cycle runs for approximately 10-15 weeks. We ask for a 15-20 hour minimum commitment per week. Interns will be allowed to work a maximum of 30 hours per week. The internship opportunities are in a variety of programs and departments that will vary from cycle to cycle. Every Climate Reality intern is assigned a mentor who works closely with them to help navigate the organization, create overall objectives, and oversee their work plan.
Interns will be paid $15.20 per hour and will be provided a Climate Reality laptop to use during their internship.
Our Washington, DC office is presently closed due to the COVID-19 health emergency. Therefore, we will accept remote interns who work/reside in the following states for the Fall 2022 cycle: CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, ME, NC, NY, NV, OR, PA, TN, TX and VA.
Successful applicants must be at least 18 years of age and will be asked to show proof that they can legally work in the United States. Students and non-traditional students are encouraged to apply.
The Climate Reality Project is looking for an intern to join our Ohio River Valley Petrochemical team. As part of our Engagement team, our Ohio River Valley Petrochemical Campaign focuses on opposing new fossil fuel and plastic manufacturing infrastructure in PA, OH, WV while also promoting sustainable regional economic development opportunities. We work with Climate Reality Leaders, chapters, and regional coalition partners to advance a more sustainable and equitable future in the region.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Support regional initiatives through outreach to community partners, website maintenance, and social media management
- Building relationships with coalition partners on regular calls and at events.
- Assisting with campaign tactics such as volunteer recruitment, coalition building, media engagement, and supporting regional Climate Reality chapters
- Attend events, including but not limited to public meetings, rallies, and canvassing.
- Research and stay up to date on current events in the region related to petrochemical infrastructure and sustainable economic development.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Creative problem solving and experience working on a team or in a coalition
- Experience with Microsoft Office and social media platforms
- Close attention to detail
- Familiarity with the Ohio River Valley region
- Commitment to advancing a just transition away from fossil fuels and solving the climate crisis
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 references with name, relationship, and contact information to email@example.com. Please use this subject line: Petrochemical Intern. Also, let us know in your email with your submission the job site or other source where you found our posting.
The Climate Reality Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other category prohibited by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, social, and recreational activities and termination.